September 20-22, 2023
Nara - Japan
Please feel free to contact email@example.com if you have any question.
SWBSS is the conference series “Salt Weathering of Buildings and Stone Sculptures”, started in 2008. Its previous series were held in Copenhagen (2008), Limassol (2011), Brussel (2014), Potsdam (2017), and Delft (2021). The conference aims at bringing together conservators, restorers, engineers, architects, academics, students and experienced researchers and to contribute thereby to the promotion of research and development within the field of salt weathering of porous materials. An idea of SWBSS ASIA as the conference series to be held in Asian countries was proposed at Potsdam in 2017 and its first meeting, SWBSS ASIA 2023, was announced at Delft in 2021.
SWBSS ASIA 2023 will be held at Nara, Japan, on September 20-22, 2023.
Taking into account the very recent world situation, the conference is currently planned to take place in person. However depending on COVID-19 situations, travelling and participation in person might be subjected to difficult restrictions again. In that case, hybrid form will be taken. Even then, you will be welcome to Nara, Japan; online participation is also possible. Please note that the same registration fees apply to in-person and online participation.
- Prof. Dr. Michael Steiger (Department of Chemistry, University of Hamburg, Germany)
- Prof. Dr. Luo Hongjie (Institute for the Conservation of Cultural Heritage, Shanghai University, China)
The conference aims both to bring together conservators, restorers, engineers, architects, academics, students and researchers and to contribute to the promotion of research and development within the field of salt weathering of porous materials for various purposes.
Authors are encouraged to submit abstracts for oral or poster presentations that fit within the following topics:
- Environmental aspects related to salt sources
- Transport phenomena and salt crystallization
- Measurement techniques
- Desalination techniques
- Conservation issues
- Field studies
Please submit abstracts as a .docx or .pdf file (please find attached the template for abstract). Abstracts should not exceed 500 words; a maximum of two figures is allowed; and 3 to 5 keywords should be reported. Abstracts should be sent by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please include the surname of the corresponding author in the name of the file (e.g. “SWBSS ASIA 2023_Surname.docx”) and in the subject of your e-mail (e.g. “SWBSS ASIA 2023 abstract - Surname”). The deadline for submission of abstracts is January 31, 2023.
Download the template for abstract
When registering before April 30, 2023, participants can profit of a reduced Early bird registration fee.
PhD students can benefit from a reduced Student registration fee.
The registration fee includes:
- opening drinks, coffee breaks and lunches during the conference program
- one printed copy of the proceedings
The registration fee does not include the conference dinner and excursion, which can be booked separately.
JPY 40,000: Early Bird Registration (before
April 30 June 1, 2023)
JPY 20,000: Early Bird Student Registration (before
April 30 June 1, 2023)
JPY 50,000: Late Registration
JPY 30,000: Late Student Registration
- Hannelore Derluyn (CNRS, France)
- Sebastiaan Godts (Royal Institute for Cultural Heritage, Brussels (IRPA / KIK), Belgium)
- Shuichi Hokoi (Kyoto University, Japan)
- Takeshi Ishizaki (Tohoku University of Art and Design, Japan)
- Yonghui Li (Southeast University, China)
- Barbara Lubelli (Delft University of Technology, The Netherlands)
- Hongjie Luo (Shanghai University, China)
- Yukinori Matsukura (University of Tsukuba, Japan)
- Inge Rörig-Dalgaard (Technical Univeristy of Denmark, Denmark)
- Masato Sato (National Research Institute for Earth Science and Disaster Resilience, Japan)
- Michael Steiger (University of Hamburg, Germany)
- Magdalini Theodoridou (Newcastle University, UK)
- Prof. Dr. Masaru Abuku (Kindai University), chairman
- Associate Prof., Dr. Chiaki Oguchi (Saitama University)
- Prof. Dr. Daisuke Ogura (Kyoto University)
- Assistant Prof., Dr. Nobumitsu Takatori (Kyoto University), head of secretariat
- Associate Prof., Dr. Tomoko Uno (Mukogawa Women's University)
- Dr. Soichiro Wakiya (Nara National Research Institute for Cultural Properties)